Written by Linda Chaney, mother & Laura Chaney, daughter
Nothing sets the scene for your holiday dinner like a beautiful vase of flowers. This Hexagon Tulip Vase helps you take your flower game up a notch with a unique tulip shape with fabrics selected to match the holiday decor. It’s also the perfect way to bring flowers as a hostess gift, leaving your handmade vase behind for the recipient to enjoy again and again even after the flowers are gone.
- Contain It! English-Paper Pieced Accessories
- Printed copy of Template 120, hexagon base (be sure to check it printed correctly by measuring the 2″ square on the pattern piece)
- 2 Fat Quarters (18″ x 22″) of Fabric (one for the inside of vase, one for the outside)
- Stabilizer (Peltex, Timtex or Buckram) measuring 20″ x 25″
- 1/4″ Fusible Tape (we like Steam-a-Seam 2)
- Iron with Steam
- Coordinating thread
- Basic sewing supplies (needle, scissors, thimble, wonderclips or pins etc)
3. Using Template 120 that you printed, cut the following pieces. Remember to use the 2″x2″ square on Template 120 to ensure your pattern printed at the correct size.
|Click here for a printable PDF of Template 120.|
4. Follow the directions for vase construction that begin on page 35 (Medium Concave Vase). Remember that all of the 3-D containers are constructed in the same way with these basic steps:
- Make the templates
- Cut the stabilizer pieces
- Cut the fabric pieces
- Fuse the fabric and stabilizer pieces together
- Assemble the Octopus
- Sew the Octopus (hand or machine-see pages 13-15)
- Complete the container with the outside base
Review the detailed directions on pages 9-16 with any questions. If you want to make sure the Octopus looks right, take a peek at the Concave Vase with a Hexagon Base diagram on page 42.
5. Decide what you’ll do with your new vase! Keep it for yourself? Or give it as a hostess gift when you attend Thanksgiving or another holiday party? Either way, be sure to post your pictures on the Prairie Sewn Studios Facebook Page or email them to us at contact@PrairieSewnStudios.com.
Join the 5 Day Challenge
Begin your holiday crafting season with a PLAN to get your handmade presents done on time with Prairie Sewn Studios.